VIDEO. Do you love to eat avocado but you’re not quite sure how to cut it? Did you know that most avocados are sold unripe? Choose one that’s firm and heavy for it size. Ripen it in a brown paper bag on the counter or in a fruit bowl which is what we like to do.
Your avocado is ripe if gives a little when you hold in your hand and apply a slight squeeze. But pushing with your thumb will bruise it so no hard squeezing.
Watch how to cut it in the video above. Marlene, who is my office coordinator and a good cook shows you. Also listen to the companion Breaking Down Nutrition podcast Beyond Fat: 3 Benefits of Avocado
- Place on a cutting board and use a chef’s knife to cut through lengthwise until you feel the pit.
- Rotate the knife around the avocado.
- Twist and pull the halves apart.
- Use the wide end of the blade and give it a good whack into the pit.
- Twist the knife to get the pit out.
- Use your thumb to push the pit off the knife.
- Take a spoon and go all around and scoop out the avocado in one piece.
- Place the flat side down on your board and slice it up. Way to go!
If you don’t feel comfortable with the knife just yet, use one of the many tools available to remove the pit. We really like the 3-in-1 tool from OXO.
Avocado is perfect tossed in salads, made into smoothies or our favorite…guacamole. Yes it contains fat but it’s the better-for-you monounsaturated fat. And bonus! Avocados are sodium and cholesterol free and provide your body with folate, fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. What’s not to love?
Please Stay in Touch with Us
Sign Up for Our Newsletter to receive the podcast biweekly in your email.