Susan Mitchell, PhD, RDN, LDN, FAND
One of the first dietitians to jump feet first into the media world, I spent 19 years providing real world nutrition tips during drive time on News 96.5 WDBO Orlando. From interviews with national talk radio personalities like Sean Hannity and consumer warrior Clark Howard, I’m known for my straight talk about nutrition, food, and fitness. Four years at WFTV Channel 9 in Orlando sharing Practicalories Point nutrition segments honed my media skills even more ultimately leading to a career as a media dietitian, professional speaker, and author. My media work included six years as the media dietitian for Target/SuperTarget and co-author of three books including I’d Kill for a Cookie with interviews on Today, CNN, Fox, etc.
I learned about podcasting while doing weekly drive time radio segments at News 96.5 WDBO Orlando which led me to host and produce the podcasts Breaking Down Nutrition for Medical Professionals, Breaking Down Nutrition and Beyond Bariatric Surgery: Everything You Need to Move On.
My years of experience in the media sharpened my skills as a medical nutrition therapy telehealth provider enhancing patient engagement and success.
Speaking includes continuing education for medical professionals such as the annual Florida licensure course on Preventing Medical Errors in Dietetics Practice which I’ve taught for over 12 years with Dr. Catherine Christie
A little more about me:
Today’s Dietitian RD Lounge named Breaking Down Nutrition one of the best RD-Run podcasts
US News & World Report listed Breaking Down Nutrition as one of 10 nutrition podcasts to add to your playlist
Today’s Dietitian, RD Lounge listed both Susan Mitchell and Regina Ragone as RDs to watch in 2017
- Blogs for Stone Soup
- Award-winning registered dietitian nutritionist; received the 2015 Media Award from the Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; Distinguished Dietitian also for the Florida Academy
- Orlando and nationwide radio experience
- Voiceovers for clients
- Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- PhD from the University of Tennessee…Go Vols!
- Served as nutrition expert/consultant to Target, GlaxoSmithKlein and a wide variety of food companies, PR firms and associations
- Serve on The University of North Florida Department of Nutrition & Dietetics Advisory Committee, and formally on the Family Circle magazine advisory board and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Nutrition Entrepreneurs Executive Committee as the Specialty Group Director.
- Co-author along with Dr. Catherine Christie of three books: Fat is Not Your Fate (Simon & Schuster), I’d Kill for a Cookie (Penguin Putnam) , and Eat to Stay Young (Kensington).
- Contributing author to Macmillan Reference USA’s Nutrition & Well-Being A to Z